[Wishlist] Track member signup & logins Not planned
- 11 comments
[This post was migrated from our old community roadmap]
1) The problem → I need to be able to add some custom code when a member signs up or logs in to enable tracking in Segment.
2) Why is this important → Allows me to keep track of members
3) What will happen if this goes unsolved → I'll need to build a custom page with the tracking code on it but it's not guaranteed the member will go to the page. Or I will have to use zapier which I do not want to use.
4) Possible solutions → Add a way to inject custom code when a member signs up or logs in. You can do this with webflow forms but Memberstack hijacks the form so it wont let me anymore.
Please leave follow or leave a comment if this is something you need 👍 This could probably be most easily solved with some custom code.
Hugo Hugo Lancel Great idea, thanks for the feedback here! Could you elaborate on some of these so we can explore possible solutions for you?
• How are you hoping to use the signup/login data once you're able to track these? Why is this important to your project? Curious about the end goal here.
• Is building a custom form a big blocker here? Are you building on Webflow?
• Once the data is in Segment, where does this data surface for you to analyze?
• What's your Plan B?
Thanks Naitik for your answer. Here's a deep dive into my needs:
• How are you hoping to use the signup/login data once you're able to track these? Why is this important to your project? Curious about the end goal here. ==>
My main goals are 1/ Conversion tracking and 2/ Product Analytics.
Let's elaborate a bit, for each of these 2 goals.
1/ Conversion Tracking
Goal here is to track ad performances. Let's say I run Facebook or Google Ads, send traffic to my website.
I want to make sure that Facebook/Google are able to track my new signups, as it may be the conversion goal I set-up for my ad campaigns.
So I need to be able to catch these form submissions (for instance with a GTM trigger), and run my conversion tracking at this moment. (More here: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-pixel/implementation/conversion-tracking/). And I want to run it client side, because the conversion tracking reads cookies to ensure tracking efficiency (click on a FB/Google ad, you will see it in action in the url: ?gclid=xxx / ?fbclid=xxx -> that value is read from cookies & sent through the pixel).
That's a huge drawback for marketers not to be able to catch signups when they occur.
2/ Product Analytics
I am using Memberstack for a Complex Project, and I want to track my conversion funnel through Amplitude/Mixpanel. So I want to be able to catch client-side logins/signups, as long as other events.
PS: I do not want to catch submitted data, I want to catch the :-)
• Is building a custom form a big blocker here? Are you building on Webflow? ==>
I already built a custom form on Webflow, pm me if you want the link.
• Once the data is in Segment, where does this data surface for you to analyze? ==>
In my case: Amplitude, Google Tag Manager, Hubspot and Hotjar.
But Segment can technically send the data everywhere.
• What's your Plan B? ==>
Login Tracking: No solution :(
I've created a "Page after signup" dedicated to tracking. So when a user signs-up, he will land on this page and I am running my segment tracking at this moment. I configured a different "Page after login" so it won't virtually shoot twice.
Let me know if you need more information,
Ah, thank you SO much for taking the time to share this — love the structure and detail.
Some ideas that come to mind:
• Direct Segment or FB/Google Analytics integration
• Ability to add custom code on signup/login modals
• Built-in member analytics with Memberstack
If you have other simpler ideas based on your experience as a marketer, I'd love to hear.
The Page after Signup/Login idea sounds like a great temporary solution. Adding a few more below if they help:
• Wondering if the New member webhook could help?
• A tip from another Community member to track Login events: Track member login history
Appreciate your input here. We'll be able to dive deeper into this once we roll out Memberstack 2.0, so that we can future-proof the solution we build in here. Can I reach out to you with mockups or wireframes when we get closer to solving for this?
sure thing do not hesitate to reach out!
And thanks for your alternative solutions ;)
Our team is considering this request for 2.0. We’d love to hear more from other members if this would be valuable to you.
Being able to easily track conversions natively through Google Ads or Facebook Ads, by copying/pasting conversion code, would be a huge benefit to most content creators and front end developers looking to implement Memberstack onto their websites. For what it's worth, MemberSpace, SendOwl and Gumroad all offer the ability to "paste" (or inject) tracking and conversion code from whatever service you are sending traffic from.
Noted, this is super helpful. Thank you!! 🙏
Hi Josh Lopez and Naitik Mehta, Building on Webflow - just to add to this thread:
Problem: Site owner wants to track member login activity/history.
Reason: To boost engagement by offering prizes/discounts to members that reach different activity tiers - i.e. 25 logins, get a free T-shirt.
Importance: Very high.
Who: Site owner and her leadership team.
I saw this (track Login events: Track member login history) but a quick look at the code contains some items - "click like button" that we aren't using. I will look closer at it and maybe exclude that bit or perhaps that needs to be Login instead?
Awesome!! Super helpful - thanks for sharing 🙏
+1 for this
Am currently on the Rudderstack/Segment train (leaning towards Rudderstack) for event tracking
I want to get basically replicate what you have created for Heap here https://docs.memberstack.com/hc/en-us/articles/9251843709467 which works very well and I tested it, but would like to track these events using Rudderstack/Segment.
Once I have that data will send in to Mixpanel view so can track activity for each user and figure out how my marketing and ad campaigns are moving people from cold visitors to members.
Note: I am using Webflow and Data Attributes for event tracking (https://discourse.webflow.com/t/how-to-integrate-segment-analytics-into-webflow/99944) so that you can create events for important clicks and activities like Sign-Up For Basic Plan (FYI This requires Mousedown not Click for anyone trying to replicate this for Rudderstack)
Outside of analytics these tools start letting you merge user/email fields and use them to create your own internal tools, etc by sending the data to other destinations
Please sign in to leave a comment.